Site Stuff

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Blackout Part 2

"You bitch!" A goon screamed behind me, "Give it back!" They pursued me down endless sidewalks of the vast city. I turned a sharp corner into an alley, giggling at their enraged whining. At the end of the alley, I hopped on a garbage can, leaping to grab hold of a window seal. I pushed myself up the wall, scraping the rough edges of the alley wall with my spikey-tipped shoes. I hauled myself on top of the window seal and balanced myself.

"Are you an idiot? We can wait here all night if we have to!" One goon called after me.

"I don't think so, since you obviously don't have the patience for me." I replied, acting as calm as possible.

"Shut up and give us the stone!" The other goon moaned in annoyance.

"This is a pretty stone. A person in the right mind would know not to give this away." I agitated, spinning the plasma, crimson rock in my fingers.

Sparked by anger, they attempted to climb up the wall, slipping on every footstep.

"I'm gonna break your teeth, neck, arms, every possible thing I can break!" One goon gritted, making small progress, "I know better no tot hit a girl, but now seems right!"

Thinking quick, I scanned my enviroment. Across from me I spotted a clothes wire. I popped my goggles on and smirked at the goons, who didn't even come close to me. I stuffed the rock in my jacket pocket.

Taking a huge leap, I snagged the clothes wire, trying to swing myself to the other building. A sudden snapping sound cracked the air and I began falling. I landed straight on my back, which began burning with pain while the wire fell over my body. The goons yanked me off the ground, one holding both hands behind my back while the other faced me, face red with rage.

"Didn't plan that out to well, huh?" He chuckled, reaching for my pocket. With all my strength, I pushed the goon behind me, knocking him into the solid wall. He loosened his grip on my hands, which I easily slid through. I slugged the goon facing me in the nose, tripping him over a garbage bag. I swiveled around to glare at the other goon, holding my fist up high. He flinched helplessly, holding his hands forward for protection.

Satisfied, I ran out of the alley, searching for something reasonable to escape in. A chopper rolled to a stop on the street, flaming decals glittering in the blazing city nightlights.

I approached the man on the bike, tapping his leather shoulder, "Hey, Mister!" I addressed. He peered at me, confounded by the sudden greeting.

"Get off the bike!" I commanded.

"No hablo inglés, loco de cabeza." The man retorted.

"Oh, your one of those foreign humans. Well, can you understand this." I ripped his fingers off the handles and jerked the man off the bike. I hopped on and spurred the engine. I darted forward, the foreign human screaming behind me, "¡Ayuda! ¡Ayuda! Ladrón Forrel ha robado mi moto"

I dodged and weaved through oncoming cars, leaving a trail of furious horns and beeps.

"What a splendid night!" I sighed happily, my prize snug in my jacket pocket.

. . .

"Thanks you so much for the stone, Saffire." Dr. Wexton praised, holding up the precious stone on the other end of the video chat.

"Anything that gets me my moolah." I replied cooly, chewing on a toothpick and sitting on a buayoutly soft chair.

"Yeah... Well, today. Your not getting money."

"What?! I just-"

The serious-faced Baeku raised his finger to shush me, "I have something else. There is news about a rare artifact called the Black Eye. The Black Eye is a powerful and divine piece of work. It is also known that anyone who activates it gets unspeakable powers. If you find this artifact, I will pay you one million dollars."

Excitement hit me like a hammer, but then I thought fast, "How about....Two million."

"No." He retorted.

"One million and three quarters?"

"How about one million and a half if you don't shut your trap!"

I smirked. Success.

"It's like working with a two-year-old. Listen..." Dr. Wexton continued, "You can't go alone, it's way to dangerous. I found two marauders who plan to search for the same artifact. They are named the Raiding Brothers. They live in Western Plains of Parlopawn, the most native continent. Go with them, use them. I need that eye, do you understand?"

"Don't worry, doctor. I'll have that eye in my hands before you know it."

"Good..." With that, he signed off, leaving the tiny box on my screen empty.

I flipped my phone open and dialed in Horton's phone number. After a few loud beeps, Horton answered the phone, his breath making a strident static sound.

"Hello, I am Professer Horton, pleasure to-" He introduced, interrupted by me.

"Cut the professer crap, it's really bugging me." I snapped.

"Some day, Saffire. You will see me as the most famous technological engineer in the world."

I rolled my eyes, "Listen, the doctor called me. He said there was an artifact called the Black Eye or something. It's hidden on an abandoned island somewhere in the ocean. Only two guys found the coordinates of the island and you and I are gonna go with them."

"What part of the story did I actually agree to go?"

"I need you to come with me. You got cool gadgets that can help us steal that priceless treasure. There will be a reward..."

Horton paused, "I'm not that money hungry... but if the doctor is rewarding us... Let me get to packing."

"Perfect." I replied, my heart beating with excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment